Handy Shares Essential Books for Programmers
There are thousands of books covering different topics and different programming languages. It is true that a programmer should read all these books to have a detailed knowledge of programming. But no programmer has the time to read all the books in their lifetime. However, reading the best books on this subject is certainly possible with a little dedication and effort. Handy believes that reading these books is important for every programmer as it will help them to expand their knowledge and get a better understanding of the subject.
Here are some essential programming language books that are vital for all programmers:
- Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction – This is a great book for all programmers, and it provides instructions on how to write good code irrespective of any programming languages or architecture. This is a must-read book for all serious software developers as it shows the details of the structure of writing good code.
- Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship – This is another essential book for programmers. This book deals with the structure of individual lines in a code as well as methods. In this book, you may learn the same concept of the programming that is usually found in other books, but the code of these books is presented at a slightly higher level.
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software – This is a classic book that can help you understand what design patterns are. This book outlines many common design patterns that most programmers are likely to encounter in their careers. But in order to read and understand the concept of the book, you must have the grasp of UML.
- Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code – This book is very essential for writing good and clean code, especially in agile environments. It is true that you will get many modern IDE nowadays that have the ability to automate the task of refactoring, but it is still needed. This book covers all types of major refactoring that every software developer must know for executing any code.
- Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools – This book is also known as the ‘dragon book’ and it provides a complete knowledge of compilers and operating systems. For a software developer, it is very essential to know how the compiler works and, in many cases, they must know how to write programs for compilers. It is crucial to understand the concepts of all the programs mentioned in this book to grasp the complete knowledge of compilers and operating systems.
The list of the books mentioned above informs about the fundamentals and foundations of the programming world. These books will help you to write good and clean code as well as structure the code proficiently. It will also help you to grasp all types of major programming concepts. Handy believes that it is important to practice all the information that you learn from these books. If you just read and don’t practice, you won’t have a clear understanding of the knowledge and won’t be able to improve your skills.